VP Legislation – Michele Samuelson
Legislative Day – THURSDAY, APRIL 6, 2017 – The Sheraton Austin Hotel at the Capitol and the State Capitol Building
TFRW’s Legislative Day (“Lege Day”) is a biennial event designed to bring our statewide membership to Austin to see the Legislature in action, get training and information on legislative advocacy and issues, and also recognize our membership for their dedication to improving government through their various activities.
SPONSORSHIPS: Limited sponsorship opportunities are still available. Please contact Karen Newton for Belles ‘n’ Boots at firstname.lastname@example.org, and Michele Samuelson at email@example.com for Legislative Day.
AGENDA/ORDER OF EVENTS: Click here to download. Some of the times are tentative.
- Sheraton Austin Hotel at the Capitol (ROOMS ARE SOLD OUT)
- Crowne Plaza Austin (click here to book your room using code TFR) – PLEASE NOTE: Transportation will NOT be provided to or from the Crowne Plaza. You are encouraged to carpool or use ride-sharing services (Ride Austin, Fasten, Fare – please note that Uber and Lyft are no longer available in Austin).
Current Issues Resolutions Passed by the TFRW Board of Directors – As of January 28, 2017, three resolutions have been passed by the TFRW Board concerning current issues for the 85th Legislature. These resolutions were brought forward by the Research and Current Issues Committee, chaired by Carolyn Hodges. Each one of these is considered a priority issue for TFRW, and TFRW members are encouraged to advocate for these issues with their Texas legislators. Click on the name to download and view each resolution.
- Promoting Photo Voter Identification and Confidence in Election Results
- Promoting Judicial Independence and an Accountable Judiciary
- Promoting Free Speech and Transparency in Elections
Becoming a Legislative Advocate – This PowerPoint presentation is available to TFRW members and clubs for basic training on how to effectively advocate for legislation in Austin.
TFRW Online Legislative Research – This tool is provided as a service to our members. Includes links for online legislative resources to enable you to follow the Texas Legislature more easily.
House Research Organization – The Texas House of Representatives Research Organization provides detailed information on “How a Bill Becomes Law” (updated for each legislative session), “Writing the Budget” and a lot more.
Who Represents Me? – A link to a tool hosted by the Texas Legislative Research Library that allows you to look up information on your legislators and certain other elected officials.