President’s Pen – September 2021
August was an especially prayerful month for me, as it may have been for you. Some days I had to force myself away from the news before I was swallowed up in feelings of helplessness and hopelessness. As women, we sometimes feel empathy so strongly that we lose ourselves in grief and sadness. It’s completely understandable, after all, there’s a lot to be sad about; rising inflation, the escalating crisis on our border, the Afghanistan tragedy, and the devastation of Hurricane Ida. So, I do what many of us do—I pray.
I don’t know about you, but I typically don’t have a “burning bush experience” when I pray, but on occasion… BAM! It’s like being hit with a 2×4. I absolutely hear God telling me to stand up and LEAD. So today, I’m asking you to be a leader too. Instead of fixating on things that we are powerless to control, I challenge you to choose to be positive and control the things we can.
First, control the narrative. When you hear people (especially Republicans) complaining about how bad things are, look them straight in the eye and say, “What are you talking about? It’s a GREAT day to be a Republican!”
- The TEXAS economy is booming—job growth up 30%
- The Heartbeat bill—passed and signed by Governor Abbott
- The Trigger bill—also passed and signed by the Governor
- Election Integrity—passed and on its way to Governor Abbott
- The Dems have done such a terrible job these first eight months, that there is virtually nothing for them to run on.
Next, re-focus yourself and DO something positive. I challenge you to do 2 things in the next 2 weeks:
1. Poll your club members to see if anyone has been directly affected by the disaster in Afghanistan. It may even be a family friend who lost a loved one. Then get everyone in your club to individually send that family a card, saying something like “You’re in my prayers,” “Thank you for your service and sacrifice,” or “Americans still support our troops.” I hope thousands of cards (at least 11,550) get sent to grieving families this week. They need to know that regular Americans still care.
2. Support those affected by Hurricane Ida by purchasing a Walmart, Home Depot or Lowes Gift Card and sending it to the TFRW office for distribution to our neighbors in Louisiana. We in Texas know what it’s like to recover after a hurricane. Let’s bless our sisters in Louisiana by letting them know that #TFRWCares.
This is your chance to be a leader in words and actions. Will you accept the challenge?
Thank you for the honor of serving you. We are empowered women empowering others, and together we will continue to make Texas the leader of principled, conservative governance.
For Texas and The Country!
Glynis Chester, President