TFRW Woman of Distinction – July 2022
Ruby Manen is a native Texan, born and raised in Aransas Pass, and is a member of Wilson County Republican Women. She has been married to Don for 60 years and they have three children and three grandchildren.
Prior to her involvement in Texas politics, Don’s military career and Ruby’s civil service career provided opportunities for them to live and work in many locations around the U.S. and in Europe including NATO Headquarters in Brussels, Belgium. Ruby had two assignments in Washington D.C. The first was with the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, and the second with the Department of Defense. Ruby was actually in the Pentagon during the 9/11 attack. She retired from civil service as a senior manager (GS-15) in 2008 after 42 years.
Following retirement, Ruby became actively involved in the Wilson County Republican Party, Wilson County Republican Women and other county organizations such as the Historical Commission and Society, Musical Club, and Beautification Association. She has held many leadership positions including:
- Wilson County Republican Party Chair, 2010 to current, just elected for another term
- Wilson County Republican Women since 2005 serving several terms in various positions (Vice President, Secretary, Legislative Chair, Bylaws Chair, Membership Chair, Caring for America, Literacy, Programs, and Campaign Activities)
- TFRW District Director, Senatorial District 21 (2015-2018, 2022-present)
- Greater San Antonio Council, Bylaws Chair (in third term)
- Served on the National Electoral College in 2020
As County Chair, Ruby took a heavy blue county to a red county in less than 10 years and took our Republican participation in county activities and fundraising to the highest levels since the Party’s beginning in 1980.
As Membership Chair for Wilson County Republican Women, Ruby took the club to an all time high membership level and continues to mentor officers and chairs in their responsibilities and duties.
Ruby has served on the Boards of Directors for the Wilson County Historical Commission and the Wilson County Historical Society. She organizes and executes a monthly fundraising event to support renovation of the Old Jailhouse Museum.
Ruby has two undergraduate degrees (Secondary Education and Industrial Engineering) and a Masters of Public Administration.