TFRW Woman of Distinction – December 2023
Barclay became involved in politics when she worked at a Republican Party headquarters at the age of 16 years old. She received both her BSN and MSN from the University of Texas, was Valedictorian of her undergraduate program, and was selected as Outstanding Student during her junior year. While working as an Associate Professor of Nursing at Amarillo College, she served as Charter Member and President of the Registered Nurses Political Action Committee. After 12 years, she joined the Veterans Administration and served at three facilities as a nursing instructor, and then as Patient Education Coordinator. Her political involvement was curtailed by the Hatch Act.
Barclay joined San Antonio Republican Women (SARW) in 1996 and has served on the board since 2000. She served for four years as President, two years as First Vice President, and is now serving her third year as Third Vice President. This year’s Fine China Luncheon, an SARW fundraiser, earned a profit of nearly $8,500. Other projects Barclay has worked on include:
- Organizing the community service project of members working at the Tourism Center.
- Organizing a student election clerk program for the 2014 general election.
- Organizing the Bell County Bell Ringer delivery program for years 2012, 2014 and 2016.
- Establishing a city-wide military support project that sent out 52 care packages over nine months and received recognition from Ft. Hood.
- Serving on the Ballot Board for several years before becoming Judge for five years.
- Serving as a core volunteer at the Bell County Republican Headquarters for more than 10 years.
Community work includes being a board member of the local ABWA, the Chamber, and Ladies Community League, and serving as a Church Elder.